Although it doesn't mention it on the main page - go to the map link and you will see where horse riding is permitted
It also shows horse riding on this Hutt City brochure
HUTT RIVER TRAIL EASY The 29km trail starts at Hikoikoi Reserve on Petone’s Marine Parade, but you can enter at many points, including the five bridges across the river in Hutt City. Playgrounds, parks and toilets are dotted along the trail. The Hutt River Trail is a joint project between Greater Wellington Regional Council, Hutt City Council, Upper Hutt City Council and the Hutt Valley Rotary Clubs.
Rimutaka Forest Park - DOC
Access to the Cattle Ridge road and Mid Slope road in the Catchpool Valley is now available outside logging operation working hours. Open trails shown in yellow below.
- Weekends: Saturday 13:00 – Sunday dusk.
- Weekdays: 18:30 – dusk.
- There is a combination padlock on the gate. Contact Peter Blaxter Ph +64 4 472 5821 or the Catchpool field base if you require the combination.
- Horse riding is not permitted anywhere else in the Park.
- This access may be subject to change as logging in the area progresses.
Rimutaka Forest Park is an active logging forest!
- Observe all instructions and signs from the logging crew.
- High Vis must be worn at all times while in the area.
- Be aware, as vehicles may be on the Cattle Ridge road at the same time as you.
Eastern Hills - Wainuiomata Fire Breaks
The Eastern Hills run from Upper Hutt to Wainuiomata. The tracks at the top are wide firebreaks, offering stunning views, but are exposed to all weather conditions and can be very hot in summer. They are wide, clay tracks which are very steep and rutted in places. They are shared use;walkers, cyclists, horses, and in some places vehicles.
TOWAI TRIG / ECNZ TRACK
EASY 4WD track (shared with dog walkers) can be followed as far as Upper Hutt. A one-hour return walk to the Towai Trig offers stunning views. Accessible from the top of Wainuiomata Hill Road, and connects with many of the Eastern Hills tracks.
UPPER FITZHERBERT TRACK
15 mins one-way MODERATE Accessed from Wainuiomata, this walking and mountain biking track passes through gorse and regenerating native forest before joining the ECNZ Track.
one hour one-way HARD 4WD track leads to the reservoir before winding up to the ECNZ Track. This challenging track is popular for horse riding, walking and mountain biking with good views of Wainuiomata and the Hutt Valley.
SUMMIT ROAD FIREBREAK
40 mins one-way HARD Steep in places as you climb to the ECNZ Track. Well used by runners, walkers and cyclists, track enjoys great views of the Hutt Valley
- There is an entrance on Summit Rd, possibly room for 1 horse float to park on the left hand side of Farrelly grove (or turnaround), however more usual access point is from the main track ECNZ/Towai
Coastal Views Horse Rides, Wainuiomata
Ride across the 8000acres of Orongorongo farm, on your own horse.
Pay per use is based on how long you wish to stay - there are also options to go along with a trek or book in with accommodation for a fully catered holiday.
Contact : Mac Eparaima
Phone: 04 586 5733
Mobile Phone: 027 481 7289